Persons Conducting a Business or Undertaking

214 Articles

To more adequately reflect modern workplace arrangements, the harmonised WHS laws replacing current health and safety laws use the term ‘person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU)’ instead of ‘employer’. The term ‘PCBU’ includes a broader category of entities, including sole traders, principal contractors, unincorporated associations, partnerships and franchisees as well as those traditionally considered to be employers. Self-employed people and volunteer organisations that employ people are also PCBUs under the WHS legislation.


Get unlimited access to all of our content.